Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Book Review: Star Wars: Red Harvest- Joe Schreiber









Star Wars: Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber
My rating: 1 of 5 stars




It is hard for me to state how much I disliked this book. It was a necessary read to read all of the Legends cannon and unfortunately so near the beginning of the tale. And although this is totally cliche, I kind of wish I could give it no stars, but then that is why I only gave it one.

I vaguely remember reading Death Troopers when it came out. Beyond that I can recall that I was not a fan of it and had a hard time seeing how it fit into the Star Wars Universe as a whole. This is not to say that I don't appreciate random tales that barely, if at all, tie to other story-lines because I do enjoy them. In fact, some of my favorite random stories have been comic book stories that are totally stand-alone. Instead, what bugged me about that book was its tie to horror/slasher fiction and what a departure from traditional Star Wars themes it was. This book, Red Harvest, was worse. At times it was very gruesome and gory; I found the book mildly disturbing and distasteful. I did enjoy there being an intelligent plant, which has been used far to rarely in most sci-fi, and especially in Star Wars, but I'm not sure why there is such current obsession over (view spoiler). Not to say that I don't enjoy a good (view spoiler) story, it just seemed out of place in the Star Wars Universe.

PS- Who really wanted a prequel to Death Troopers anyway, I mean did anyone really wonder, "Where did that disease originate and how did it come about?" as if the explanation in the novel wasn't good enough [scientists tinkering with biological agents].  And this is not the first time that bioagents have been used in the Star Wars Universe, there was the FG36 virus in the Republic Commando series and the Krytos virus in the X-Wing Series, neither of which were presented in such a gruesome way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment