Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Book Review: Outbound Flight- Timothy Zahn

Outbound Flight (Star Wars)Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Re-reading this book really just emphasized to me how desperately I need to re-read the original Thrawn Trilogy, even though I probably listened to it a hundred times. I know when normal people say they've done something "hundreds" of times it is usually interpreted to be an exaggeration, but I probably listened to the abridged audiobook at least once a month for 8 years. My biggest conflict is that I tend to confuse the Outbound Flight Project with the Katana Fleet.
Anyway, although I love Timothy Zahn's books, this one was a little odd. First, it seems unnecessary to have the extra anchor of Anakin and Obi-Wan on the flight because fans who are familiar with Zahn's other works probably have enough of an anchor already. It is nice to see this storyline woven into the prequels pretty seamlessly because there were quite a few items in the Thrawn Trilogy that were contradicted by the prequels or had to be retconned to fit back in. A surprise to me was that as the Outbound flight reached the Unknown Regions of space that they ran into not only (view spoiler). That half/view of the story was its saving grace because the Outbound Flight itself and Jorus C'baoth were kind of disjointed. C'baoth as a Jedi seemed too unorthodox, which isn't to say that this wasn't allowed or couldn't have been, but it was made quite clear in the Thrawn Trilogy [spoiler for that series coming up], that the cloning process is what made the clone of the Jedi master, Joruus, crazy. In this series the original "copy" is quite crazy on his own already. Overall, though, Zahn tells great, complex stories and he did an excellent job here of weaving together the tales that he has written with the prequels themselves.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment