Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Book Review: The Problem of Pain- by C.S. Lewis

The Problem of Pain The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This has been the most enjoyable book by C.S. Lewis that I have read as an adult. The only one that tops it is the fictional tale The Screwtape Letters. I also found there was little with this book that I disagreed with, overall I agree that the existence of pain does not contradict a belief in God and Lewis does a very good job of laying out the argument that it even supports and points to a God. It was also very nice to hear a theologian not disputing science and evolution, although he did do this at the cost of treating the opening chapters of Genesis as allegory. To be honest, I wish he had spent more time there or had written a book on the topic during his life. It would nice to hear a theologian discuss the topic fairly without flat out rejecting either side. I think there are ways to make the two fit. Anyway, back to the book it was a good discussion of the topic and a book that I found little to argue or disagree with.

This is also the last book I read over the summer, other than kids books which I will not be reviewing and the Chemical Demonstrations series by Bassam Z. Shakhashiri, which I will not be reviewing until I read book 5 all the way through.  With that, I will be taking a break from my normal reading cycle and will be mindlessly listening to Star Wars EU audiobooks [as I outlined in my Labor Day post] until I finish them and some of my grad classes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment