Pages

Monday, September 14, 2015

Book Review: Life of Pi- by Yann Martel

Life of Pi Life of Pi by Yann Martel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've put off watching the movie version of this book because I was determined to read it first. In addition to wanting to watch the movie I also had the desire to read the book on my own because the English teacher at my school assigns it to (freshmen?) students. If the goal of the book was to, as the teller of the story says, "Make me believe in God", the book fell well short of it. In fact, I'm not heard quite so much pantheism outside of the Unitarian Universalists I've had conversations with. Each of the monotheistic religions have fairly exclusive statements about their faith the exclude other faiths. However, the main story was not about religion but a boy and part of a zoo shipwrecked at sea. To some extent having read Unbroken recently I had trouble not drawing comparisons or thinking about records for survival being stranded at sea. However, if the book it taken as the fictional story that it is it was a very enjoyable read with a thought-provoking twist at the end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment