Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Book Review: William Shakespeare's Star Wars Trilogy:Verily, A New Hope, The Empire Striketh Back, & The Jedi Doth Return by Ian Doescher

First, I read the whole trilogy in two days and am reviewing all three here.
Normally, I do not like audiobooks that are read by full-casts but it worked for this book. The intros and outros were not from the actual book and kind of took away from them a little bit, but otherwise this was one of the few full cast books where it was easy to follow the different voices. It does help that were choruses and asides to explain what would normally be done by a narrator or simply the author setting the scene.
This book once again reignited my desire to read the complete works of Shakespeare which I think is the book's strength. I've written before about how I would change US high school English class curriculum and I think a book like this is the way to get many students who are maybe relucant to start Shakespeare at least interested and slightly familiar with the style. After all Ian Doescher is a Shakespeare fan and tried to be true to the style, while taking minor, but creative licenses- like having Yoda, speak in haiku instead of in the Shakespearean style. Overall, these were great short reads and will amuse fans of Star Wars and/or Shakespeare. Now if only I could find the prequels on audio [not to mention having to patiently wait for the final installment].

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment