Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

Book Review: Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty Dance with Death- by Kurt Vonnegut

Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty Dance with DeathSlaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a classic that I was very excited to read [in part because of Crash Course Literature's summaries of it, but it was a very odd book. I know that it is supposed to be surrealist novel but even so it was very hard to follow. I am sure that writing a story about the horrors of war in this way is one way to cope with the autocracies of war, but it also made the book very hard to relate to. I did enjoy and was amused by the idea of flashbacks being time-travel. Furthermore, I was reminded of the story In the Realms of the Unreal by Henry Drager which I originally stumbled upon because of Sufjan Steven's song "The Vivian Girls Are Visited In The Night By Saint Dargarius And His Squadron of Benevolent Butterflies". I became obsessed with learning about Henry Drager, whose book was never published and is classified as outsider art literature but seems to be very similar to this and very surreal.
Overall, I found this book too random and disjointed to follow or enjoy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment