Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Book Review:The Christian Atheist: Believing in God but Living as if He Doesn't Exist- by Craig Groeschel

Christian AtheistThe Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked this book as my religion one for my reading cycle, but I wasn't sure whether it was going to be for or against it at first, honestly I picked it up because the title interested me and I did not read a blurb or even the subtitle I don't think.
Anyway, it is pro-Christianity. The author's complaint is that many Christians do not live Christian lives, that is you wouldn't be able to tell whether they are Christian or atheist. He of course calls this Christian Atheism throughout the book, but it looses its shock value pretty quick and became kind of annoying after that because I think there are proper Biblical terms for a Christian who has slipped off the straight and narrow path. Also, I do not believe that salvation can be lost or that backsliding is any reason to question salvation.
Trhoughout the book I had trouble relating to the author because his Christian experience was so unlike anyone I know, and certainly unlike myself. Even my friends who were not raised in a Christian home didn't have backwards experiences or beliefs like he did. It does make for a humorous story, but at times the "Christianity" he believed and has grown up out of is unbelievable and that makes relating to it difficult. I wonder where the responsible adults and leaders in his life were when he needed them and feel blessed to have had the positive Christian education that I did.
None-the-less, despite the zaniness, I was convicted several times as I read the book about things that I need to do better. It was a much more impactful and powerful read than the prior Christian book (Radical) I read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment