Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Book Review: Walk Two Moons- Sharon Creech

Walk Two MoonsWalk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Out of all the Newbery books I have managed to find on audio, this was one that my wife, a middle school language arts teacher, recommended most highly to me.
The book was good, but I did not love it. Most of that comes from something that is probably my own bias, but I don't like third person limited where the main character knows things, but they are still hidden to the reader. If the main character knows something that they aren't sharing with the audience then the audience is led into this false sense of solving a mystery that isn't really a mystery. In television this happens a lot when you hear everything in the show and then at some critical point something is whispered to the main character which shapes their actions in the closing dramatic scenes, but if you had heard the whispers the closing would have been obvious.
Sharon Creech does a good job with this because the main character is struggling to come to terms with something tragic that has happened in her life, and so is in denial about the reality of the situation and that is why she doesn't think if the things that are kept from us, but it still took away from the book for me.
Also, there was another (view spoiler) in the book that seemed unnecessary to me. I loved the grandparents and how the main character switched between the road trip that she was on with her grandparents and the story she was telling them, which was the main driver of the plot, while they were on the road trip. I certainly understand they the book is a Newbery winner and why my wife liked it so much, but for me it was only alright.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment