Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Book Review: The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee- Sarah Silverman

The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee by Sarah Silverman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I stumbled across a copy of this at the library book sale last spring and my wife picked it up and read it shortly thereafter. She couldn't stop laughing and we managed to find a few copies of Sarah's stand-up and enjoyed those together. I had been hoping to listen to a different comedy book when it came up in my cycle, but the one I wanted wasn't available and The Bedwetter was.
I didn't find the book as hilarious as my wife did, although a lot of that may be because I was forced to stifle my laughs. I read the book in less than 24 hours, but most of it was listened to with my daughters nearby, with my wife sleeping next to me in bed, or on a bus with my students. Although I don't agree with all of her political views, I do appreciate her frankness and not-punches-pulled approach. She is right that women, Jews, and blacks among others are unfairly ostracized still and that conservatives pick weird things to get on soapboxes about. Furthermore, like many other comedians/comediennes are unfairly criticized when they mock one group, when really they mock many.
Hopefully soon I can find old episodes of her TV show and watch that, the book certainly piqued my interest there. Overall, it was a good book with a great mix of humor and critique.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment