Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Book Review: Holes- Louis Sachar

Holes (Holes, #1)Holes by Louis Sachar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've always had the vague goal of reading all of the Newbery books, so recently I added a whole bunch to my listen to later wish list. I then let my wife suggest her favorites and am trying to read those first.
I remember my wife reading this book, but she was uncertain as to whether she ever got around to finishing it. Personally, I couldn't put it down. Sometimes I judge how good a book is by how much work I find around the house to do, just so I can have the excuse to keep listening. Our kitchen is now very clean, and the book was too short so I finished it in under one day. It was not at all what I expected which made it more enjoyable. I thought that like other books or movies [I'm specifically thinking of a similar scenario in The Man Without a Face], the emphasis on the boys digging holes would be to build character, but such was not the case here; (view spoiler). The ending of the book was a little abrupt and sudden, but that seems to be the case in a lot of young adult fiction so it wasn't unexpected. I don't know if I'll read the sequel, but this book was well worth the time.</["br"]>

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment