Pages

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Book Review: The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of Tue Love and High Adventure: The 'good parts" version- Abridged by William Goldman

The Princess BrideThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have check this book out of the library many times with the intent of reading it, but never was able to bring myself around to doing it. I remember my dad reading it at some point, and I think that he believed the story within a story idea (view spoiler), but then again maybe he explained it to me and I misunderstood. Either way, I did briefly [and re-internet] try to find the full version which also hindered me reading Goldman's version. I stumbled across this unabridged audio version at the end of the summer and decided to go ahead and give it a listen.

The movie is very true to the book. The book contained about two extra scenes, one of which was with Fezzik and Inigo going through Count Rugen's "Zoo of Death", which I wish could have been incorporated into the movie, if for not other reason than it was also funny and would have given those two more screen time. Of course, the similarities come because Goldman wrote both, but still the book seemed like an old friend as I read, and yet it also offered a new perspective that allowed me to appreciate both of them better. My biggest complain is that it was short and rarely are movie and book lengths so similar- a more elaborate book would have been welcomed.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment