Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Book Review: The Giver- Lois Lowry

The Giver (The Giver, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have never been shy about my opinion of dystopian novels, most of them stink because they all have the same problems and they all seem to end in the same, overly perfect way. I don't think that The Giver is much better. I thought I had started this book in seventh grade and given it a descent chance, but then gave up on it. I did that a lot back then because of my teacher's odd checkout and reward policy. Anyway, I wasn't a fan of the little bit I read back then, but it must have been a very little bit because I only remember chapter 1 and a few details about the Giver and the giving process that I must have been told by someone else. Had I realized back then that the book was by the same author, Lois Lowry, as Number the Stars, I maybe would have given it a bit more of a chance, but I have complained before about improper reading guidance when I was a kid.
When I heard that it was being turned into a movie I decided that I should maybe give it another chance, especially because my wife was shocked that I hadn't read it in full or enjoyed it. The book was a short read and the dystopian society was a little realistic, but at the same time the ending was too sudden and clean. The plan that the main character and the giver come up with is too simple to have taken him so long to come up with and execute. The ending isn't too perfect, but it is close. Maybe I would have enjoyed this as a kid, but I don't think I was missing a lot by having waited so long to read it. I'll watch the movie, but I'm not as excited about it as I had been. Lastly, I know there have been sequels, but I have no intent on subjecting myself to that kind of frustration or disappointment unless it for some reason were to become necessary.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment