Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Book Review: Robogenesis- Daniel H. Wilson

Robogenesis (Robopocalypse, #2)Robogenesis by Daniel H. Wilson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read Robopocalypse a few months ago and had been wanting to listen to it for a while. When the book finished it left itself open for a sequel, but did not require it. When I finished reading the book I was surprised to find that there was consideration about it being turned into a movie and that a sequel Robogenesis had just come out within the last year.
When I read that there was a sequel I was concerned that it would not be as good because I thought it would be difficult to do a sequel since the original was done in past tense- post-apocalypse. This book surprisingly tried to do the same, but did not pull it off as well. Furthermore, because of the people that we would call cyborgs, the book had its own name for them, exist it actually gets kind of gruesome.
[Spoilers from the first book are given in what follows, and are not censored, but spoilers from this book are censored]. The first book is told primarily from the perspective of stories collected by the robots and retold by a soldier in a collection called the Hero Archive. This book is told as stories from the perspective of (view spoiler). There's also a bit of retconning [retroactive continuity] going on claiming that Archos R-14 had been trying to (view spoiler). Neither of those set very well with me and this lead to the sequel not being as good as the original. In the interview/author's at the end of the book Daniel H. Wilson claimed that he was open to potentially making it a trilogy, and that if the reader wanted it to voice their support, but the book did not conclude in a satisfactory way such that a sequel would be only optional, instead of necessary. I enjoyed this book too and will read the sequel when it comes out, but I am not as eager about it as I was about getting to this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment