Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Book Review: The Road- Cormac McCarthy

The RoadThe Road by Cormac McCarthy
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was surprised recently to learn that the movie The Road was based off of the book The Road. I was also further surprised while in the midst of reading it was it was a Pulitzer Prize winner. I don't think I've read a Pulitzer before and this certainly isn't what I expected.
To be honest the book was pretty disappointing. I possibly built it up in my mind too much. I heard a couple of good reviews/recommendations in a row and so moved it way up my list of adult fiction to read. It also helped that it was short, after having taken a long time to listen to my most recent science selection, The Science of Liberty. The biggest complaint is that pretty much nothing happened. I've said several times before I am not a fan of dystopian novels. This was similar enough, even though it was post-apocalyptic instead. Even though it was, it is frustrating to (view spoiler). Furthermore, like most novels, just worse, things go bad, but then over-and-over (view spoiler). I have also often thought that it is realistic and even probable that in an apocalyptic scenario that the individuals trying to survive it might not be the heroes at the center fighting it or even know what caused it, and the chance to hear the story from that perspective was exciting, but left me wanting.</["br"]>

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment