Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Book Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars- by Karen Traviss

Star Wars: The Clone WarsStar Wars: The Clone Wars by Karen Traviss
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm still not sure what I think about this movie being made. It is the only Star Wars movie that I have not seen in the theater, in fact it kind up snuck up on me and it did so poorly in the theaters that it was done with its run before I got the chance to see it. I really don't like that Anakin (view spoiler) because it seemed to run against everything that had been written in Clone Wars novels, cartoons, comic books, video games, and the cannon prequel movies. It seemed to me awfully late in the game to be trying to change the storyline so drastically. Having said that the movies did not satisfy fans' desire to see the Clone Wars that were mentioned so fleetingly in passing in Episode IV and became so critical to the early Expanded Universe novels.

I mention all of this to set the scene and to explain that I don't count a bad script against the author. Having said that I also look for one to add to the other. If the book comes first then I expect the movie to add visuals, inflection, scene setting, or something else that is beyond what the original author was able to explain. On the other hand if the movie comes first [or in this case the movie script and idea came first because this is the adaptation of the film rather than a novel turned into a movie], I expect the novel to add some background or insight into characters' thoughts or some other details that add to the story. This novel is very true to the movie, even more so than the Episode I novel I praised previously, but doesn't add anything to the movie or the experience. I suppose if you are going to read instead of watch then the book is good enough, but otherwise I don't find it all that useful or much of an improvement. Not bad, just the same and therefore bland.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment