Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Book Review: Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids- by Ken Jennings

Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids by Ken Jennings
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is the first of several that Ken Jennings has written that I have read. He also read the audiobook version. First, he is not the best narrator- a little slow [in fact, it has been a long while since I've checked a book so many times to make sure I was listening to it at x2 speed] and a little soft spoken [though this could be a problem in post-production and editing]. Beyond that this book is basically Mythbusters light. He takes a lot of common phrases, sayings, and ideas and explains that is true or false about each of them. Most of them are backed up by sound science and explained very well. I can't say that I learned a lot from the book, but there were a few phrases that maybe I had never given much consideration to and he explained them quite thoroughly. The book was labelled as "comedy" at my library and I would call it more trivia than humor, but there were a lot of great little quips, one-liners, and turns of phrase in the book.  Here's to hoping that false sayings from over-enthusiastic or uniformed parents will fade away.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment