Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Book Review: Ender's Game- Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1)Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ender's Game is another book that goes to show I wish someone had given me better direction in my secondary school years as to what books I should read because I might enjoy them. No one recommended to me specific science fiction to read and so I read pretty much all the Star Wars novels and spin-offs and little else [[author:Crichton|5194] is the only other thing that comes to mind]. However, I really enjoyed this book and it kind of made me feel like a kid again. I don't think the audience for this book is necessarily young adult, but that is roughly the age of the main character, Ender, and so it does lend itself to that audience.
I chose to read the book when I did [a little over a year ago (this is also the last book from back then that I am aware that I did not review)] because there was a movie version coming out. Unlike The Book Thief I did not enjoy the movie adaption of this book, although for both the book is far better.
I always love books that not only draw me in, but surprise me. The ending of Ender's Game caught me off guard. It went a way I did not expect and I was very pleased with it. I had been worried that the end would be abrupt or that the story would continue in a sequel. There certainly are plenty of sequels, but it was not necessary to have the sequel to enjoy this book, it stands very well on its own. I don't know if I will read those sequels because it is hard to find them on audio and I get the strong impression that this is a series that wasn't intended to be a series, but now Orson Scott Card doesn't know how to get out of the world he created. Not to mention the personal problems I have with his philosophy and character. Furthermore, I think of it a lot like the Dune series, it was a good idea, but nothing will top the original and so I'm not sure it is worth pursuing all of the sequels and spin-offs.
My only complaints about the book is that some of the futuristic technology seems outdated now that we live two decades into the real future and that as slow as realistic as space travel is (view spoiler).
PS- The movie wasn't bad, it just moved too fast and glossed over a lot of parts, some of which were important I think. However, I did like that they took time to address in more detail than the book that there is a moral and ethical dilemma with training children to fight wars.</["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]>

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment