Pages

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Book Review: Fates and Furies- Lauren Groff

Fates and FuriesFates and Furies by Lauren Groff
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Happy families are boring to read about. Leo Tolstoy probably said it best at the beginning of Anna Karenina, "all unhappy families are unhappy in their own way". Having said that not all unhappy families are worth reading about. This is about the third book in the last year that I have read where I have grown to despise the main characters. I don't know whether this is part of the trend of writing about the anti-hero or if this is instead a product of me listening to new things. The story didn't start out bad, just a little odd but I didn't really dislike Lotto also known as Lancelot. however as the story progresses I came to just like him and I don't know how it's possible to not in the book hating his wife. she tried her best and possibly had his interests in mind but I think she was very self-serving. I'm sure plenty of marriages have secrets but it just seems unreasonable and even unrealistic the amount of deception that happened in the story. I kept thinking "use your words" and "talk to one another", but I guess that wouldn't make for an interesting read. Also, I'm not opposed to sex in the book , but the sex here was just not good, way too frequent, and I don't think it helped add to the story. In the end, I found myself just continuing the book just to see how much more twisted it got and because I had started it and I don't like to give up- I'm personally not a huge fan.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment