Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Book Review: Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth- by Karen Miller

Siege: Star Wars (Clone Wars Gambit)Siege: Star Wars by Karen Miller
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Normally when there are a small group of books in a series I review them together. However, I'm going to make an exception this time because these two books were so different. If you want to read my introduction to the series and review of the first book see here.
This book picks up immediately where the other one left off. After the pacing and suspense in the first book being so good, I possibly had expectations that were too high for this book. Either way, this book let me down. I have complained in several other places that every author seems to want to be the one showing Anakin turn evil. If that was my only criteria for judgement, then this book would be perfect because Anakin is almost angelic if not the self-sacrificing Christ-figure. However, the other main character, Obi-Wan, was written so poorly. To some extent, even if I dislike how Anakin has been written in other novels, there is still precedent for his character. Meanwhile, Obi-Wan, who is normally compassionate, is cold and heartless here. Yes, Obi-Wan doesn't like to bend, yet alone, break the rules, but there have been plenty of times we have seen him make exceptions, because he seems to always do the right and moral thing. Here he is such a stickler that he becomes dispassionate. Beyond that, because of the setting the resolution is inevitable and therefore felt very predictable. This was disheartening after having such good twists and suspense in the first book in the duology.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment